|Sandy Relief for Immigrant Communities – Open to applications from December 12th-18th
Disaster SNAP (D-SNAP) can provide you with temporary food assistance:
D-SNAP (commonly known as Disaster Food Stamps) is a one-time benefit. Individuals and families must meet the following requirements, regardless of Immigration status
, to receive D-SNAP
. You must live in one of the ten zip codes or two partial zip codes on October 27, 2012
- Coney Island, Brooklyn(zip code 11224 and 11235)
- Red Hook, Brooklyn(zip code 11231)
- Gerritsen Beach South of Allen Avenue, Brooklyn(partial area of zip code 11229)
- Lower East Side, Manhattan(zip code 10002)
- Staten Island: Southeast shore (zip code 10306), and North Midland Beach South of Seaview Avenue(partial area of zip code 10305)
- The Far Rockaways, Queens (zip codes 11691, 11692, 11693, 11694, and 11697)
2. You cannot be a current recipient of SNAP. If you currently receive SNAp and meet requirement #1, you will automatically receive SNAP if your November 2012 benefit amount was less than the maximum amount allowed for your household size. You do not need to apply and will be turned away. Current SNAP households receiving the maximum SNAP benefit will not receive a supplement.
3. You must have disaster-related expenses, from October 27th to November 25th, such as home damage, car damage, hotel expenses, etx. (Loss of food cannot be counted as a disaster related expense.
4. You must prove your identity. Documents regarding residence as of October 27th 2012 and income resources and family composition (from October 27th to November 25) will be reviewed and verified.
If you meet these 4 requirements, you or your representative must apply in person starting on December 12th 2012. Households will have two locations to apply:
- Downtown Brooklyn: 495 Clermont Ave. (Accessible by subway A, B, D, G, N, Q, R, 2, 3, 4 and 5) (Buses B25, B26, B38, B45, B65, B67, B69, B52 and B63)
December 12th to December 18th 2012, 8.30am – 6pm For the first 2 days, we are accepting applications alphabetically, according to last name;
- Wednesday December 12th – Only applicants with a last name begining with A – M
- Thursday December 13th – Only applicants with a last name begining with N – Z
All other days are open to all applicants, regardless of last name.
- Staten Island: New Dorp High School, 465 Dorp Lane (Accessible by buses S79 and S78)
Friday December 14th, 4 – 8pm Saturday December 15th, 9am – 5pm Sunday December 16th, 9am – 5pm Monday December 17th, 4 – 8pm This location is open every day to all applicants regardless of last name.
Further information is available from the following: Download the D-SNAP Application – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/programs/d_snap.shtml Toolkit in English (with flyer) – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads/pdf/dsnap/HRA-DSNAP_FINAL_Info_12-5-12.pdf See Flyer in Spanish (in PDF) – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads/pdf/press_releases/2012/pr_december_2012/HRA_DSNAP_FINAL_Info_12_5_Spanish.pdf See Flyer in Chinese (in PDF) – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads/pdf/press_releases/2012/pr_december_2012/HRA_DSNAP_FINAL_Info_12_5_Chinese.pdf See Flyer in Russian (in PDF) – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads/pdf/press_releases/2012/pr_december_2012/HRA_DSNAP_FINAL_Info_12_5_Russian.pdf Transportation to D-SNAP Locations – http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads/pdf/dsnap/NYC_HRA_DSNAP_transportation.pdf
Meitheal na Nollaig Irish Day of Action Rockaway – December 15th 2012
On Saturday, November 24th buses left from both EIIC offices in Woodlawn and Woodside in conjunction with the Irish Consulate and other Irish organizations for the Meitheal Irish Day of Action. Our buses headed for St. Frances De Sales Parish in Rockaway to lend a helping hand. As a result of a fantastic turnout and a productive day, a second day of action is scheduled for Saturday December 15th when Meitheal na Nollaig will take place.
Registration is now open to volunteer at www.surveymonkey.com/s/IrishDayofAction
Christmas Shoe-box Appeal
In conjuntion with Meitheal na Nollaig, volunteers will bring a little holiday cheer to the children of Rockaway on December 15th by delivering Shoe-boxes with gifts for Christmas. Both EIIC offices in Woodlawn and Woodside are acting as collection points. Shoe-boxes can be dropped off to either office before 4pm on Friday, December 14th
For further information check out www.facebook.com/IrishDayofActionRockaway
Join our ESL Class who are hosting a Fundraiser Party on Monday, December 17th between 6pm and 9pm in Amaru Pisco Bar, Jackson Heights.
Tickets are $25 which includes a free raffle.
For tickets or further information please contact Liz or Blanca at (646) 545-7214 or email email@example.com
US Marines Toys for Tots
The EIIC will be collecting toys again this year for the Toys for Tots Program. We will be accepting new, unwrapped toys to be distributed by the Marines to children affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The deadline for the Woodside office is Wednesday, December 12th and the Woodlawn office deadline is Monday, December 17th.
Please donate a toy to deliver the Joy of Christmas to children affected by Hurricane Sandy.
For further information http://www.toysfortots.org/
NY Cares Coat Drive
The EIIC will be participating again this year in the NY Cares Coat Drive. Please drop any unwanted coats you have to the Woodlawn or Woodside offices before December 31st.
Help keep a New Yorker warm by donating a coat today
For further information http://newyorkcares.org/volunteer/holiday_volunteering/coat_drive/index.php
Save the Date Friday December 21st
The Sandy Seisiuns Part II
On Saturday, December 01st The Sandy Seisiuns Part I was a huge success having raised approximately $25,000 on the night. Part II is scheduled for Friday, December 21st again to be held In Connollys Klub 45 (121 W 45th Street, NY, NY, 10036).
Your Master of Ceremony for the night will be the one and only Sean Ruane who will be introducing musical entertainment including The Canny Brothers Band, A Band of Rogues, D.J. Ant G, Shilelagh Law, Boston’s Erin Og, Members of The Port Authority Police Pipes & Drums Band and The Narrowbacks throughout the evening and into the late night.
There is a suggested donation of $20 at the door with doors opening at 6pm.
Come along for a great nights entertainment and music with all funds raised going towards helping relief effors for those affected by Hurricane Sandy
|Volunteers Needed for The Sandy Seisiun Part II on December 21, 2012
If you are free to volunteer for this great event on Friday December 21, please contact please email Siobhan at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call at 914-980-4759